Friday, April 20, 2012

Girl Scout Greats

The Girl Scout Blog posted volunteer profiles of six Girl Scout Greats, including one from our very own Council.

Christine Benero, a tireless humanitarian, is a Girl Scout alumna and volunteer for the Girl Scouts of Colorado. “As President and CEO of the first United Way in the country, I am inspired by an organization’s ability to motivate its members to uplift their community," she states. "Girl Scouts has taught me to give back to my community and inspired me to make the world a better place.”

Cristina Moreno, an outside-the-box thinker and doer, is a Girl Scout alumna and volunteer for the Girl Scouts of Tropical Florida. “As an architecture major at the University of Florida, I know how important it is for today’s young women to have STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) skills and knowledge in a male-dominated field," states Moreno. "Girl Scouts allowed me to pursue my passion for architecture. Today, I am taking action and giving back to my community by working with Habitat for Humanity.”

Francis Ortiz, a world-class traveler, is a Girl Scout volunteer for the Girl Scouts of Southern Nevada. “I have traveled with Girl Scouts to such far-flung locales as the Sangam World Center in Pune, India, and the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador," she says. "As a volunteer coordinator for the Girl Scout Bronze and Silver Award winners, I have accompanied girls on unique trips. I am expanding girls’ horizons by traveling with them beyond what they thought was possible.”

Gayle Sierens, a play-by-play pioneer, is a Girl Scout volunteer for the Girl Scouts of West Central Florida. “As the first woman to do play by play for a regular season NFL game, I was hopefully able to prove that football isn’t just a men’s game," states Sierens. "Girls Scouts gave me the confidence to follow my passion for sports and make a mark in the history books. Girl Scouts encourages girls to follow their dreams and believes there is nothing they can’t accomplish.”

Mary Lynn Myers, who invests in girls' futures, is a Girl Scout volunteer for the Girl Scouts-Dakota Horizons. “I’ve been a longtime banking executive and served as a White House fellow, but it was as a Girl Scout that I learned about financial literacy through the Cookie Program," she says. "The Girl Scout Cookie Program gives young women the tools they need to be successful business leaders.”

Yvette McGee Brown, a fearless defender of families and children, is a Girl Scout volunteer Girl Scouts of Ohio’s Heartland. “I’ve dealt with children’s justice issues throughout my legal career. Girl Scouts helps girls discover their confidence and develop into young women capable of making their own decisions," she states. "As the first African-American woman to serve as a justice on the Supreme Court of Ohio, I use the advice I received as a Girl Scout to help others make the right decisions for themselves.”

No comments:

Post a Comment